Swiss Chard Patties
Ready In: 20 Minutes
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- 1 head Cal-Organic Swiss chard, steamed
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. Cal-Organic chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Cal-Organic green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Cal-Organic carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Heat a stockpot of 4 inches of water to boil with a steam basket inside. Slice the Swiss chard in ribbons and place in the steam basket. Cover the pot and steam the chard for 10 minutes or until fully wilted. Remove Swiss chard from the steam basket and place in a kitchen towel. Squeeze the greens to remove any excess water and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl combine the flour, breadcrumbs, cumin, garlic, parsley, and green onions.
- In another medium size bowl add egg and steamed Swiss chard and mix well. Add green onion mixture to fritter mixture and combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a non-stick frying pan heat oil over medium heat. Once the oil is warm, one at a time, drop a flattened spoon full of the fritter mixture into the pan to cook. Do not overcrowd the pan. Only cook 4-6 fritters at a time depending on the size of the frying pan. Cook the fritters for 3-5 minutes per side then flip and finish cooking. Once finished cooking, remove the fritters to a paper towel lined plate and serve warm.
Recipe & Image from our E-book: Back to Our Roots