- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup shaved Cal-Organic Red Beets
- prepared pizza dough
- 2 tbsp. flour, for work surface
- 2 ripe tomatoes, rinsed, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 cups queso fresco
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- olive oil, for grill grates and brushing
- Prepare grill for direct grilling. Preheat to high heat.
- Divide pizza dough into two portions and flatten into rectangles on a lightly floured surface. Let dough rest for five minutes, then flatten and reshape as necessary.
- Using a pair of tongs, dip a paper towel in olive oil and brush grill grates. Slide the pizza dough onto grill grates over direct heat. Close grill cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, the dough will begin to bubble.
- When dough is crisp and browned on the bottom, remove from grill and place grilled side up on a baking sheet. Reduce grill heat to medium and close the grill.
- Brush the top of the pizza dough lightly with olive oil. Layer the tomatoes on each of the pizzas, season with salt & pepper and sprinkle with half of the cheese. Carefully slide back onto the grill. Close grill and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until crust is browned and cheese is melted.
- Using a spatula, slide pizza off the grill onto a cookie sheet or a wooden cutting board. Top with arugula, shaved beets and the remaining cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe and image from our e-book Summer Salads & Backyard BBQ