Stuffed Bell Peppers
Slow Cooker Recipe
- 2 medium Cal-Organic Yellow Onions
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 28 oz. canned tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbsp. fresh mint
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups white rice, cooked
- 2 tbsp. Cal-Organic Italian Parsley
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- Chop onions and parsley.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium – high heat. Add half the onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, bring to boil, and stir. Cook until slightly thickened about 5 minutes. Mince the mint and add half to the skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into slow cooker.
- Add ground beef and remaining onion to the skillet. Cook over medium heat, breaking up the meat, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain any excess fat.
- Stir in the rice, the remaining mint, and minced parsley. Add 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste.
- Slice the tops from the bell peppers, 1-inch below the stems. Reserve tops. Remove seeds and discard.
- Using a spoon, fill each pepper with some of the meat mixture. Do not pack tightly. Cover the peppers with their tops.
- As the peppers are filled, arrange them standing up in the cooker, side by side. Do not stack.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or on low for 5 to 6 hours. The peppers will be tender when done.
- Serve peppers with tomato sauce and garnish with fresh herbs.
Recipe and image from our e-book Hearty Slow Cooker Recipes
Back To Our Roots
12 sweet, savory, and fresh recipes using our favorite Cal-Organic root vegetables.Download