Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 2 medium Cal-Organic yellow onions
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 28 oz canned tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbsp. fresh mint
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt, plus extra
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground, plus extra
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 1 1/2 cups white rice, cooked
- 2 tbsp. Cal-Organic parsley, chopped
- 2 Cal-Organic green bell peppers
- 2 Cal-Organic red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
1. Chop onions. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium – high heat. Add half the onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, bring to boil, and stir. Cook until slightly thickened about 5 minutes. Mince the mint and add half to the skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into slow cooker.
3. Add ground beef and remaining onion to the skillet. Cook over medium heat, breaking up the meat, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain any excess fat.
4. Stir in the rice, the remaining mint, and minced parsley. Add 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste.
5. Slice the tops from the bell peppers, 1-inch below the stems. Reserve tops. Remove seeds and discard.
6. Using a spoon, fill each pepper with some of the meat mixture. Do not pack tightly. Cover the peppers with their tops.
7. As the peppers are filled, arrange them standing up in the cooker, side by side. Do not stack.
8. Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or on low for 5 to 6 hours. The peppers will be tender when done.
9. Serve peppers with tomato sauce and garnish with fresh herbs.
Recipe & Image from our E-book: Hearty Slow Cooker Recipes