French Onion Soup
Slow Cooker Recipe
- 6 large Cal-Organic Yellow Onions
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 14 oz. chicken stock
- 10 oz. beef stock
- 2 tbsp. Marsala wine
- 6 slices French bread
- 8 oz. Gruyѐre cheese, sliced
- Peel and thinly slice onions by hand or in a food processor. Put in slow cooker and toss with olive oil.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, stir, when possible, until onions are caramelized.
- Add stock and wine. Cover and cook on high until hot, about 20 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush bread slices with olive oil and place on baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls, placed on a baking sheet. Top each bowl with a toasted bread slice and a slice of cheese.
- Place soup bowls about 4-inches below broiler in over. Broil until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe and image from our e-book Hearty Slow Cooker Recipes
Back To Our Roots
12 sweet, savory, and fresh recipes using our favorite Cal-Organic root vegetables.Download