Chicken Tortilla Soup with Rainbow Carrot Chips
- 3 cups Cal-Organic Rainbow Carrot Chips
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 6-8 corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- 1 Cal-Organic White Onions
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chili, sliced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2, 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Diced avocado, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Cal-Organic Cilantro
- Dice the white onion and pick the cilantro leaves from stems. Set aside cilantro and ½ of chopped onions for garnish.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add tortilla strips into the oil a handful at a time. Fry, stirring frequently, until they are golden and crispy, 2-3 minutes. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Reduce heat to medium and add ½ of the onions into the remaining oil. Cook onions for 4-5 minutes, until they are soft and translucent. Stir in garlic, jalapeno or serrano (if using), 1/2 teaspoon salt, a few turns of black pepper, cumin and chili powder. Cook for another minute, until fragrant, then add carrots and toss to coat. Pour in tomatoes, water (using the water to rinse any remaining tomato from the cans) and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Add chicken and half of the fried tortilla strips. Taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as needed. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve topped with tortilla strips, diced onion, avocado, cilantro and lime.
Back To Our Roots
12 sweet, savory, and fresh recipes using our favorite Cal-Organic root vegetables.Download