Winter Tomato Soup
- 2 medium Cal-Organic yellow onions
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes, Italian style
- 1/2 cup vermouth, or dry white wine
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. tarragon
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Sour cream, for serving
- Fresh basil, for garnish
1. Peel and chop the onions. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until golden, about 15 minutes.
2. Combine tomatoes, vermouth, sugar, and tarragon in the slow cooker. Add the onions and butter, scraping out the pan.
3. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
4. Puree with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Ladle the hot soup into bowl and garnish with a spoonful of cold sour cream and a fresh basil leaf.
Recipe & Image from our E-book: Hearty Slow Cooker Recipes