- Heat a stockpot with four inches of water to boil with a steam basket inside.
- Slice the chard in ribbons and place in the steam basket. Cover the pot and steam the chard for ten minutes or until fully wilted.
- Remove chard from the steam basket and place in a kitchen towel. Squeeze the greens to remove any excess water and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, breadcrumbs, cumin, garlic, parsley, and green onions to make the patty mixture.
- In another medium size bowl, add eggs and steamed chard and mix well. Add green onion mixture and combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a non-stick frying pan heat oil over medium heat. Once the oil is warm, one at a time, drop a flattened spoon full of the mixture into the pan to cook. Do not overcrowd the pan. Only cook 4 to 6 patties at a time depending on the size of the frying pan.
- Cook the patties for 3 to 5 minutes per side then flip and finish cooking.
- Once finished cooking, move the patties to a plate lined with paper towels and serve warm.
Recipe and image from our e-book Back to Our Roots