- 6 medium Cal-Organic Red Beets
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. butter
- Prepare your grill for indirect cooking at medium to high heat.
- Remove greens from the beetroot and set aside. Scrub the beets and trim the ends.
- In two batches of three beets each, place the beets on a sheet of aluminum foil. Drizzle each batch with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add a sprig of thyme to each foil packet, cover the beets with foil and fold the edges to secure.
- Cook the beets in the foil packets, on indirect heat with the lid closed for 45 to 55 minutes. To check for doneness, pierce beets with a skewer or the tines of fork.
- Remove the foil packets from the grill, and let rest for about ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the beet greens and shake to dry.
- Heat a splash of olive oil and butter in a skillet. Sauté the beet greens until just wilted then season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Carefully open up the foil, and peel the skin off the beets using paper towels.
- Cut the beets into wedges and divide the beets and greens among plates. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Recipe and image from our e-book Back to Our Roots