Yam Som-O (Thai Pomelo-Chicken Salad)
Ready In: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 1 cup(s) vegetable oil, garnish
- 6 shallots, garnish, thinly sliced
- 1 red chile
- 1/4 cup(s) roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 head Cal-Organic lettuce - red leaf
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp thai fish sauce
- 1 tsp chopped red chile
- 1 cup shrimp, cooked
- 1 cooked chicken breast
- 1 pomelo or ruby red grapefruit
- Peel and separate pomelo or grapefruit into segments. Remove the membranes. Seed. Gently flake the flesh apart into a bowl. Chill. Hand shred the chicken.
- Add chicken and shrimp to pomelo.
- In a small bowl mix together the chopped red chile with fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and coriander; toss with pomelo chicken mixture.
- Arrange the lettuce on a serving platter. Put the fruit mixture over the lettuce. Top with peanuts and 2 tablespoons of Crisp Fried Shallot Flakes, and garnish with red chile slivers.
- CRISP FRIED SHALLOT FLAKES: Slice shallots into thin slices. Be sure they are all of the same thinness to ensure even cooking. Heat a pan with the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add shallots and fry slowly until browned and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. The moisture in the shallots should be completely cooked out. Drain on paper towel. Store in an air-tight container; will keep several weeks.