French Onion Soup
- 6 large Cal-Organic yellow onions
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
- 14 oz chicken stock
- 10 oz beef stock
- 2 tbsp. Marsala wine
- 6 slices French bread
- 8 oz Gruyere cheese, sliced
1. Peel and thinly slice onions by hand or in a food processor. Put in slow cooker and toss with olive oil.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, stir, when possible, until onions are caramelized.
3. Add stock and wine. Cover and cook on HIGH until hot, about 20 minutes.
4. While soup is cooking, preheat oven to 400°F. Brush bread slices with olive oil and place on baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
5. Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls, placed on a baking sheet. Top each bowl with a toasted bread slice and a slice of cheese.
6. Place soup bowls about 4-inches below broiler in over. Broil until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe & Image from our E-book: Hearty Slow Cooker Recipes