Prepare in a cast-iron dutch oven if you want it to taste like the camp cook's version!
Cattle Drive Casserole
Ready In: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45-60 minutes
Serves: 4-6 people
- 1 cup Cal-Organic/Bunny Luv Organic Shredded Carrots
- 1 Cal-Organic celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 cup Cal-Organic green onion, diced
- 1 Cal-Organic potato (variety of your choice), grated
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (4 oz) can mushrooms
- 1/2 cup(s) milk, evaporated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 slice(s) bread, crumbled
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef, extra lean
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the beef, potato, onion, celery, carrot, bread, eggs, and salt and pepper, mixing together as you would for a meat loaf.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan. When it is ready, form the meat mixture into 16 balls (about the size of golf balls) and brown them all over.
- While browning, beat together in a mixing bowl the soup, water and milk until the mixture is smooth and then add the mushrooms and the mushroom liquid.
- When meatballs are browned and the sauce is ready, scoop out the meatballs carefully so you don’t get any fat that has accumulated, arrange the meatballs in a large covered casserole pan, and pour the mushroom sauce over the meatballs. Cover the pan and put in the oven for 45-60 minutes. Check it once in a while to make sure the meatballs aren’t sticking and add a little water if you think the sauce is getting too thick.
- When all is ready, sprinkle the green onions over the top of the meatballs and sauce; call the cowhands and stand back to avoid the stampede!