Barbecue Chicken with Watermelon Skewars
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 medium Cal-Organic Farms Onion, finely diced
- 1 Chili Pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup Bourbon
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Dark Molasses
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 4 pounds Chicken, bone-in, skin-on
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- 3 cups Cal-Organic Farms Watermelon, cut into large cubes
- Small Skewers, wooden or bamboo, pre-soaked
1. Prepare grill for high, direct heat. Make sure there is a cooler area of the grill.
2. Heat the butter and 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion & Chile pepper and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and add the bourbon. Return the pan from the heat and add the bourbon. Return the pan back to medium-high heat and reduce sauce for 5 minutes.
4. Add the ketchup, lemon juice, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar to the sauce. Stir to incorporate and return to simmer. Let the sauce cook down and thicken for about 20 minutes. Set aside.
5. Coat the chicken pieces with the remaining 1/4 cup oil and season liberally with salt on all sides.
6. Lay the chicken pieces skin side down on the hottest area of the grill until seared well; about 5-10 minutes depending on grill. Once the chicken has seared move the chicken pieces off the direct heat to the lower temperature area of the grill. Cover the grill and let the chicken cook undisturbed for 20-3o minutes.
7. Turn the chicken pieces over and baste them with the reserved sauce. Cover the grill again and cook for 15-20 minutes. Repeat turning, basting, covering and cooking for another 10-30 minutes until cooked through and juices run clear. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit for breasts and 170 degrees Fahrenheit for thighs.
8. Serve with additional barbecue sauce. If desired before serving, you can sear the chicken on the hot side of the grill to add grill marks. To do this, put the pieces, skin side down, on the hot side of the grill. Allow them to sear and blacken slightly for a minute or two.
9. Pierce the watermelon onto the skewers and place over direct/high heat and grill quickly on each side. Serve along with the chicken.
Recipe and Image from our E-book: Summer Salads and Backyard BBQ